Address:
285 Almond Dr
Paso Robles, CA 93446
San luis obispo County

daytime phone: (805) 610-4516
evening phone: (805) 239-7347

Application Date: 2019-04-25

Applicant Details

Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
We were the first farm to be CNG in this area back in 2010. We stopped producing for the public some years due to health reasons. Now we are back once again! We believe in what CNG stands for and we want to renew our Certification. We are passionate about what we produce and want others to enjoy with us. Stated in our first application stands true:We believe that health starts with our food and we must take care of our soils. My husband learned growing up in a small town in Spain where all was natural until pesticides and herbicides were introduced. We feel we have no need to use any synthetics to farm, we know and understand the importance of growing naturally for our future and the future of those to come. We are highly against GMO's or anything that affects/changes natural crops. After reading your website we identify with your mission statement.
Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
yes
If yes, please note which certification and agency: *
We are a Certified grower/producer by the County of San Luis Obispo Agriculture Dept.
Have you ever been certified in the past? *
yes
If yes, please note which agencies and dates: *
Certified by both the County of San Luis Obispo Agriculture Dept and CNG in 2010
Have you ever been denied certification? *
no
How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
The first time we joined I was looking for a certification closet to what our beliefs are and affordable. We identify with your mission statement. We want to rejoin

General Farm Information

Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
5 Acres
Number of above acreage that you own: *
8 Acres
Number of above acreage that you lease: *
Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
no
General Listed Acreage Breakdown
Veg Crops:
Fruit Crops:
Hay:
Grains/Beans:
Sugarbush:
Other Acreage:
Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *

Please Specify Any Other Items:
It's hard to say how many acres we grow of each thing as we rotate and companion plant, so above numbers may vary from season to season. We rotate areas to let the land rest and rebuild it's ecosystem. If you need exact numbers of acres of each product please call me so I can better explain
Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *

Please Specify Other Markets:
We are restarting and at this time sell at the farmer' market. Some produce on property. I have a local restaurant interested and I have introduced our products to local health food store, but not selling yet to restaurant or health food store.

Farmland Management and Practices

Primary Tillage System: *
For years we have grown for ourselves and to share. In fall my husband mixes manure/compost in soil to prep the soil for spring crops, in early spring when evaporation is low land is prepped to keep moisture and avoid compactation. We have lived here for 18 years and we have animals pasturing the sections that we have rest after having planted oats or other cover crops that are not tilled back into the soil. We plant cover crops around our orchard and rotate planting. We have not used insecticides nor herbicides in all this time. We have not used synthetic fertilizers either. My husband uses different attachments for his tractor, as well as, we use hand tools to till the land. We try to respect the soil’s ecosystem as best possible.
Do you use Cover Crops? *
yes
If yes, please list: *
Oats, vetch and other legumes
Do you use Compost? *
yes
If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
small amounts that I make from our property.
Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
At this time 1-2 inches deep when used
Do you use Manure? *
yes
If yes, please note general sources (local dairy, horse farm, etc.): *
Our own farm animals(no antibiotics, hormones, deworming goes in our manure pile)
Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
1 wheelbarrow per 30 sq feet
What time of year do you apply the manure? *
Fall
Do you apply any non-composted Manure within 120 days of veg-crop harvesting? *
no
Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
At this time we haven't had to use. When used, if needed we will update.
Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
no
Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
no
Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
no
Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
We pull our weeds by hand, use a hoe, mulch and rototil. We also leave some weeds for our bugs.
Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
So far we have never had a terrible plague. Lady bugs, praying mantis, other good bugs, toads and birds help with the bad bugs. If I were to use something for the bad bugs it would also kill the good bugs. People understand that we use no insecticides and some veggies are holly. A lot of bad bugs are picked by hand as we are in the garden. Earwigs seem to be a nusence, but only last for a while. We also use other plants around our crops, for example basil and barrage around tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and green onions in between the carrots. Companion planting.
Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
At this time in the 18 years we have lived here we have not been faced with disease. If I suspect mold or rot, I would immediately remove, bag or burn the plant or branch.
Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
Community well. Re receive a report on quality every year.
Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
no
Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
no

Seeds, Transplants and Buffers

Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
no
Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
no
Do you grow your own transplants? *
yes
Are they grown using Naturally Grown/Organic methods? *
yes
If they're not grown according to CNG methods, please list them here. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown. (If they are, put "N/A") *
We grow according to CNG methods. If I have to buy soil it is only organic. If my chicken or goats get into my transplants or pots, which has happened in the past, I have a friend who only uses organic methods, with no synthetics to replace if I don't have my own.
Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
yes
From which sources do you buy transplants? *
As explained above, I have a friend who only uses organic methods, with no synthetics to replace if I don't have my own.
How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
I have visited her farm and observed her methods
Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
When we first moved here I planted grape vines which I have made transplants of now. Original plants are over 10 years old. If I were to buy new berries,grapes or any fruit tree, I would only buy from another CNG or organic supplier.
Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
no
Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
yes
Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
There are no other crops planted near our property. West is a gypsy horse breeder who does not spray her weeds, north a property not used for crops in over 20 years with occasional cows or horses and does not spray. There are also trees separating us. South is the crossroad to our house with no chemicals used for weeding and the street between us. From our crop when planted in this field there at 50 feet separation from the street. The wind when it blows, blows south east. East we have new neighbors who do not use their land but in the event they did we do not plant for crops on this side of the property and there is our street that also separates us from them.

Agreements

Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
I hope we will be accepted to re certify. Please contact me if you have any questions. With Gratitude, Lindaflor Larsen.