Rockbridge Cider VinegarOwner: Joseph Martinez
3786 Collierstown Road
Lexington, VA 24450
daytime phone: (540) 463-3756
evening phone: (540) 463-3756
Web site: http://www.rockbridgecidervinegar.com
Application Date: 2016-03-21
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- I've started making artisanal vinegar from my orchard apples to sell at the Staunton, Virginia Farmers Market. My orchard has never been sprayed (16 years now!). I follow organic standards, but I am not certified organic. And I like the Certified Naturally Grown idea! I think it will help my sales.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- From a local produce grower in Rockbridge County, Virginia.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- 2.5 acres
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- 2.5 acres
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- 2.5 acres
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- mowing, tilling
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- Grass and clover blends.
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Pea gravel mulch from a local quarry.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Regular mowing controls weeds in the orchard.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I do not spray or try to control insects in the orchard. My apples are for pressed for juice only, so I don't care if they are blemished. So far, natural insect predators manages pest damage.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Cedar Apple Rust is my primary disease challenge. I plant disease resistant apple cultivars to help prevent rust problems.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Household well-water and natural spring water are my sources for irrigation..
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- From which sources do you buy transplants? *
- I have purchased apple trees from Vanwell nursery in Washington State for my North orchard (1/2 acre). My 2 acre South orchard was planted 16 years ago.
- How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- Synthetic fertilizer was used to grow the trees in their nursery.
- Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
- Nursery tree stock from Vanwell Nursery in the 1/2 acre North orchard will be planted this month. Apples from those trees will begin bearing fruit 3 to 5 years from now.
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Two rows of evergreens separate a county blacktop road from the 2 acre South Orchard. We have a sign along the road informing the county Department of Transportation not to spray pesticides. The 1/2 acre North Orchard is in a protected valley on my property several acres away from the road. Cattle are run on a farm across the river to the South of my South Orchard. No crops are grown for more than a mile from my property. My immediate neighbors to the East and West plan to raise horses on their land in the future - just open, mowed pastures at present. A couple of acres of hard woods border my land to the North.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: