Owner: Shannon R. Love

Address:
3840 State Route 21 South
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Ontario County

daytime phone: (585) 905-0104

Application Date: 2017-02-04

Applicant Details

Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
Because we are a small-homestead farm that follows the USDA organic standards as a base, in addition to, having a no-spray policy in general. Last year we were USDA Farmer's Pledge. The lay-out of our land, and associated costs, prevent us from going certified "Organic". Our farm, often referred to as our large "garden" is our passion and one that means the world to us.
Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
no
Have you ever been certified in the past? *
no
Have you ever been denied certification? *
no
How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
From a friend whose apiary is CNG...Green Heron Apiary in Canandaigua, NY.

General Farm Information

Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
Number of above acreage that you own: *
Number of above acreage that you lease: *
Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
no
General Listed Acreage Breakdown
Veg Crops:
Leeks, scallions, peas, beans, sweet and flint corn, carrots, beets, greens, kale, spinach, chard, zucchini, potatoes, cucumbers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, pumpkins, winter squash, herbs, summer squash.
Fruit Crops:
raspberries, blue berries, grapes, black berries
Hay:
Grains/Beans:
Green bush beans
Sugarbush:
Other Acreage:
Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *

Please Specify Any Other Items:
Sunflowers
Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *

Please Specify Other Markets:

Farmland Management and Practices

Primary Tillage System: *
We have a small compact tractor and till as little as possible.
Do you use Cover Crops? *
yes
If yes, please list: *
White clover and a hairy vetch/winter rye blend in the fall...
Do you use Compost? *
yes
If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
Vermigreen Compost (Certified Organic and local) and we use our own farm-made compost.
Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
10-15 yards in 2016 applied in the holes of hand-planted crops and shoveled around other crops during growth. As a general application to tilled land, we add about 1/2-1 inch after a fresh till. No specific measurements.
Do you use Manure? *
no
Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
We have used Espoma Organic granular fertilizers around specific plants (ie Tomato Tone around the tomatoes, Plant Tone as an all-purpose NPK, and Espoma's Sulfur for the berries in the early spring). We spread natural, no-dye, mulch around perennial plants annually. The only liquid fertilizer we have ever used is King Neptune Fish and Seaweed blend (around corn and on transplants during watering).
Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
no
Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
no
Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
no
Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
We hand-pick or hoe weeds in between crops. As this will be our third year growing, we have learned that planting crops that grow well together (companion plants) in tighter spacing tends to keep weeds a bit more at bay as well.
Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
The only real pest problem that we have had thus far is with flea beetles on our kale. For this we cut the plants back. This helped the problem well. We applied one small application of Certified Organic, Food-Grade diatomaceaus earth to the kale late summer in 2016 to smother the bugs and that helped tremendously. We plant trap crops and companion plants to minimize pest issues (I.P.M.).
Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
So, far we have not had any real trouble with disease. To prevent fungal issues we avoid overhead watering as much as possible.
Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
We water with our well primarily. We also have town water for the house which is very rarely used.
Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
no
Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
no

Seeds, Transplants and Buffers

Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
no
Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
no
Do you grow your own transplants? *
yes
Are they grown using Naturally Grown/Organic methods? *
yes
If they're not grown according to CNG methods, please list them here. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown. (If they are, put "N/A") *
All produce is grown according to CNG methods
Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
no
Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
yes
If yes, please state the source (conventional farm field, golf course, etc.)and any details you can provide (type of pesticide, fertilizer, herbicide used, and/or what used for.) *
Maybe. There is conventional farm field that sprays minimally in the spring for weed control...happened once in 2016 and the spray was for wheat. They rotate crops annually. There is about 75ish feet between the start of our planted area and the start of the other farm and we are planting more and more trees between us and them as we can afford.
Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
yes
Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
To the south we have woods, to the east is a part wood buffer and then a road with about 50 feet separating our produce from it and then another line of trees heading north. To the north is our home and residential yard (about an acre+ of non-spray grass, house, shop, and solar panel array) and to the west is a conventional farm. Part of the western field has about a 75 foot buffer (about 500 feet long) and as you go south we have about a 2 acre buffer of land we own that we are letting sit for a few years (because it had been previously used by the above mentioned farmer in 2014.)

Agreements

Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
It is in our practice of everything we do and grow to be done with the utmost thought and care for our planet, local flora and fauna, and with consideration of how to grow the healthiest produce for human consumption.