Luff FarmsOwner: Kurt + Lori Lanning
21272 S Shore Rd
Three Mile Bay, NY 13693
2412 Sanchez Dr
Cuba, MO 65453
daytime phone: 64958386
evening phone: (636) 495-8386
Web site: http://www.lufffarms.com
Application Date: 2017-12-08
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We want to make sure we are a responsible farm that provides produce in manner in which will not only benefit us, but benefit the planet and the people who purchase from us.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Through other farms that I have been researching before getting into the garlic business.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Currently we only grow garlic. We may add other types of vegetables in the future. We may also add berries and or flowers.
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- We currently only pulverize our fields, but plan to use a tiller starting in 2018. We believe that although the industry is trying to get away from tilling, we may have to as our soil is predominately clay.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- In 2018 we plan to use buckwheat, clover and mustard for our cover crop.
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- The only fertilizer we've used is blood meal.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Our primary weed problems are milkweed, chicory, and mustard. So far our weed control methods has been using chopped straw for over-wintering right after planting in October. And we add more of the same during the spring, usallly in May.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- So far, we have not had any pest issues. Garlic seems to be pretty tolerant of most pests. Although it seems that we have had aphids in some of our personal vegetable gardens. If we were to incur an issue with aphids we would use a diluted concentrate of pure neem oil.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- The main disease concern with garlic is the presence of nematodes. We have not had this problem yet, as we rotate our crops every 2 years and plan to do so regularly. Also, through research, we've learned that the cover crop mustard is a natural deterrent.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- For the 1st 3 years of our garlic far, we have not had to use any water outside of mother nature. However, we do pump water from Lake Ontario into a farm pond as we will have an irrigation system set up this year.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- There are over 100 yards from the road to our garlic field. There are 200 yards separating our garlic field from each of the 3 neighboring land owners on all sides. None of the neighboring land owners farm their land or have done so in over 20 years.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- If it matters, we are only interested in pursuing CNG for our garlic enterprise. More so that we don't confuse our customers. We do have a few other fields that we may or may not want to include in our future plans with CNG. We started growing Christmas trees about 4 years ago, and we may or may not continue to add trees annually. We just started a very small hops field this year and plan on growing some flowers and flowering shrubs as well. We share ownership with my parents and they have several gardens for vegetables for personal consumption. We've never used any pesticides or non-organic practices since we started farming 4 years ago and don't plan to.