Green Jeans Market FarmOwner: Jason Heitman
23 North Milton Road
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
38 Lakewood Drive
Ballston Lake, NY 12019
daytime phone: (518) 232-1968
Application Date: 2017-12-31
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- For market, certification will help ensure customers trust where their food comes from.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Through other farmers.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Minimun tillage. Hand weeding, raking Hoeing.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- Purchased Booth's Blend
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 1-2 inches deep
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Dolomitic Lime, as needed to maintain ph for growing vegetable crops
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- perennial grasses. I have just broke ground on soil that hasn't been farmed in many years. Currently I have 30 beds under tarps. This will be my primary technique to manage weeds in my system. Additionally I will use a permanent bed system. I will hand remove weeds that are present. I will use intensive spacing and planting schedules to minimize the chance of weeds germinating. I will till minimally. Leaving the seed bank in the deep in ground to eventually rot away.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Unknown at this point, assuming cut worms and beetles. For both pest and disease management I will rotate crops on a three year rotation. I have 30 beds currently with my goal to have 30 more by the Fall all in production and rotation. These I plan to break into 6 bed lots and have a ten step rotation alternating heavy and light feeders and moving crops around to keep pest and disease from getting ahead of my plantings. Additionally for insects I plan to use netting and row cover to protect the plants.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- unknown First year. In addition to three year rotation, For my crops Downy Mildew and Cladosporium leaf spot are an issue especially in tunnels or areas of low circulation and high humidity. I will use only varieties that are resistant and will hot water treat my seeds. Also for season extension, when in the tunnels there's little to no air circulation I will remove row cover when the air warms up in tunnels to allow whatever circulation is present to help against downy mildew. Fusarium wilt I will treat mostly the same with plenty of airflow and seeds that are resistant. Late blight with tomatoes I hope to manage by harvesting everything before the disease overruns and as with everything else in my permanent bed system, pull plants out of the beds and compost or discard the residual plant matter.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Stream that runs through farm, and well.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Are they grown using Naturally Grown/Organic methods? *
- If they're not grown according to CNG methods, please list them here. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown. (If they are, put "N/A") *
- They are grown organically
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- From which sources do you buy transplants? *
- Johnny's seeds, Forum Sets for onions.
- How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
- Onions sets
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- 20' West of my beds is another garden managed by the owners of the farm. They grow greens and other vegetables and some herbs. They don't use any chemical sprays or non organic fertilizers. Everything they use they get from Northeast organics as far as fertilizers go, and they spray neem oil for pests. 50' to the North and south of my beds is woods. There's a stream that runs through the north side of the property that is surrounded by trees on both sides. South is a tree line more than 30 feet wide, then a horse pasture. East of my beds is woods.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- My farm is new. I hope to grow to CNG standards.