Adam's AcresOwner: Adam Thiessen
19276 Hilltop Dr
Gretna, NE 68028
daytime phone: (402) 318-8208
evening phone: (402) 318-8208
Application Date: 2019-04-28
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- I just accepted for my aquaponics greenhouse, and I would like to also become certified for my fruit orchard and outdoor grown produce.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Nelson and Pade
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Johnny Seeds Tilther and a broad fork
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- clover, turnips, radish, oats, vetch, annual rye, cowpea
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- On farm and purchased from Soil Dynamics in Ashland, NE.
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 1-2 inches deep
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Happy Frog All purpose (OMRI Organic) - Ingredients: Feather meal, bone meal, hydrolyzed fish, fish meal, fish bone meal, alfalfa meal, sulfate of potash magnesia, blood meal, bat guano, rock phosphate, kelp meal and gypsum. Azomite micronized Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We have a. variety of common Nebraska weeds that I have seen. If they are thistles or something obnoxious, I will dig them and pull them out. I have not done much as this is our first season. We have had our orchard for 2 years now, but I have just weed wacked any weeds around them to allow the nutrients to reenter the soil. I will likely use a propane burner, pulling methods, and some tools sold by Johnny Seeds to conquer any weed issues. I will not use any chemical (organic or non-organic) to control weeds. Near the house and driveway 30% vinegar is used to nock down those weeds, but not in the field.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Japanese beetles have been destructive to the fruit trees the last couple years. Other beetle pests have also been observed. I have used organic neem oil to disrupt the reproductive cycle of the beetles.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I have seen some rust from the cedar trees around. I will use organic neem as a dormant oil and treatment for fungal and bacterial diseases. Other than that cultural pruning practices to remove diseased branches and damaged limbs.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Well on property. Well was just tested for my aquaponics certification and is good.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Are they grown using Naturally Grown/Organic methods? *
- If they're not grown according to CNG methods, please list them here. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown. (If they are, put "N/A") *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- We are surrounded on three sides by residential acreages These acreages are not practicing conventional agriculture that would utilize chemical spraying. To the East is a small farmer that grazes cattle on pasture. His fields are used for grazing and I have observed no spraying. The nearest crop is pumpkins that are approximately 200 yards away.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- I also just received my CNG Aquaponics certification. I utilize the same CNG practices in all aspects of our farm. We grow all our starts in the greenhouse.