Silver Seeds FarmOwner: Marybeth Creveling
7125 W Snoqualmie Valley Rd NE
Carnation, WA 98014
17910 146th AVE NE
Woodinville, WA 98072
daytime phone: (206) 353-1968
Web site: http://facebook.com/silverseedsfarm
Application Date: 2019-03-28
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We are an intensive 3/4 acre diversified vegetable farm that shares property with a certified organic blueberry farm. It is our first year in production and we are striving to become certified organic in the years to come. Meanwhile, we will be attending markets to sell our produce and would like to be able to tell our customers that we are making every effort possible to produce with sustainability in mind.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- Within the local farming community.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- BCS walk behind tractor.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- Fava Bean, rye, vetch, clover, buckwheat
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Kelp Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Soft Rock Phosphate, Linseed Meal, Greensand, Bat Guano, Pro-Mix, Edna's Best Potting Soil (Bat Guano, Kelp Meal, Pumice, Wood Mulch, Worm Castings, Compost), Worm Casting, Black Mulch, Lime Flour, Soluble Kelp
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We use silage tarps to create a stale seed bed to control weed pressure. The silage tarps is used for 2-5 weeks. We also use long handled tools to remove unwanted weeds from beds and aisles and lay down protective landscape fabric to suppress weeds in our beds that contain our long succession variety crops.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We use protective row cover to keep insects from our plants.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We prefer to focus on fertility as a preventative method to plant disease.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- The land owner has water rights to a creek that feeds the water through a gravity fed filter.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Are they grown using Naturally Grown/Organic methods? *
- If they're not grown according to CNG methods, please list them here. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown. (If they are, put "N/A") *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Our property is located on a certified organic blueberry farm, Blue Dog Farm in the Snoqualmie Valley. This valley is heavily protected through preservation efforts. The farm itself is 230 yards from the closest road. The second closest farm is Carnation Farm that is 2.4 miles East.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: