Produce & Flowers
Redwood FarmOwner: Harry Rodenhizer
2302 Patterson Rd
Durham, NC 27704
daytime phone: (919) 727-8040
evening phone: (919) 727-8040
Application Date: 2020-12-12
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- I grow with no chemical fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides and would like to be able to advertise that this is so- and have a credible verification.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- I was looking into organic certification- ran across CNG- thought it was a better idea.
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- Sell plants to farm and garden stores and any other type retail business that would like to buy them and "by the road" to folks in my community and others that I may attract to my farm.
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- I have been using a tiller- and occasionally a cousin will plow for me. But I am working toward removing grassy and weedy soil to be replaced with good clean soil in raised beds and purchased at Sands and Soils, (919) 596-0801, 1414 Stallings Rd, Durham, NC 27703.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- I've been buying leaf compost from Sands and Soils (will continue) and I am now composting myself- from grass clippings and plant stems etc.
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- about 2" around the plant base out to about a foot.
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Fish guts&seaweed, lime and a granular organic fertilizer. I'm making nitrogen by soaking weeds in water and potassium from banana peels in water. Since my primary product is plants I'm not using much of it.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I will be using clean soil in raised beds and will hand pull any weeds that get in them. I also cut (with a hoe) a few inches around the beds and greenhouses so I can see the bermuda grass and other invasive grasses before they get into the beds. I use SRM Red Plastic Mulching Film Smooth and SRW Products, GC3 Ground Cover Weed Barrier, Woven 3oz, 15 Year-
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Caterpillars, flea beetles, spider mites and grasshoppers. Regular crop rotation and bed aeration. I am excluding the bugs "screen houses" made with 30% and 40% shade cloth on frames. I use diatomaceous earth and neem oil when there is evidence of insects on the plants and after it rains there-after.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Verticillium Wilt is the only one so far. I'm warned to be on the lookout for "Eggplant anthracnose". I just try to keep the beds clean, rotate crops and space the plants a bit more than I have been. I try to keep the leaves of plants as dry as I can. I'm spraying the greenhouses down with alcohol before starting plants and keeping surfaces disinfected while growing.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- I have both taken city water to the farm and collected rainwater. I hope have a well on the property before too long.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- I buy from organic and non GMO seed producers: Johnnys Selected Seeds, Territorial Seed Company and Edens Seeds. I also pick up seeds from retailers when I see something I like- but check for organic and/or non GMO before I buy.
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- Mix my own.
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- clean soil and a SMALL amount of organic granular fertilizer.
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Forest on two sides, a field adjacent (which I lease) to one side with a 50' (+-) tree buffer for most of the boundary with a residential yard and a bush buffer the rest of the way and a 25' tree buffer before an unimproved road which is the farm access road. The closest paved road is 350 (+-) yards away.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: